Sunday, April 25, 2010

Leavenworth is worth the trip

Having been raised in Kitchener Ontario with a mother of German extraction, I grew up on a steady diet of schnitzel and saurkraut. So when I learned of a little town in Washington State called Leavenworth I had to pay a visit. It's an easy drive from Vancouver, about 4 hours. After you get off I-5 at Everett, take Highway 2 which winds through a narrow valley, up the Cascades through Stevens Pass.

After the railway abandoned it in the 1930's Leavenworth fell into a prolonged depression, but around 1960 it went through a makeover, and was reborn as a Bavarian village. I believe they chose the theme because the town is nestled in a very narrow valley surrounded by towering mountains. Buildings along the main street reflect the Bavarian motif, as do many of the restaurants and shops. The town is thriving, with over a dozen festivals that attract more than a million tourists a year. We spent two days there before heading to Stevens Pass for a morning of skiing and enjoyed it thoroughly.

If you're looking for a cheap, quick holiday off the beaten path, I recommend it highly.





No comments: